Monday 27 December 2010

Paywalling as a way to protect the power based of doctors

Paywall is the new term which means papers (or other information) that's
pay for access.

Here's an example.

Suicide as escape from self.
Baumeister, Roy F.
Psychological Review, Vol 97(1), Jan 1990, 90-113. doi:
10.1037/0033-295X.97.1.90
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/rev/97/1/90/

This paper has been cited by almost 500 other articles but a member of
the public can't access it for free. Most scientists have access to a
wide range of journals so reading research is a pleasant experience.
People working at newspapers have budgets to access papers and are often
allowed free access to journals and papers.

A member of the public doesn't have access to systems like Athens nor
can't afford journal subscriptions unless they're relevant to their
profession. But every patient needs to know what the latest research is
because often doctors don't know what's the latest developments in their
speciality or other specialities. They also have their own biases to
deal with, and this includes dealing with health economics rather than
quality of life.

In mental health it's more relevant than physical health. I read a lot
about suicide to try and help myself. I've found the work of Schneidman
to be really helpful. Other papers too help me understand myself. But I
can't get access to so many papers. I read an inordinate number of
papers so couldn't afford to pay for them and I don't work in mental
health anymore so can't justify subscriptions nor could I afford to
subscribe to all the journals I read papers from.

So only doctors and psychiatrists can read these papers and thereby
continue to hold their power, the power of knowledge. I, of course, have
lived experience to learn from but they disregard my personal experience
because they have a medical degree. I am, after all, mad and that's the
best way to dismiss my analysis.

I'd really like to read this paper because it talks about the
egocentricity of rational suicide. It's so fascinating to read someone
write about something they have no experience of but I value their
analysis even if they don't value my own. My degree in mental health
comes from the university of life.

In the modern age knowledge is power and paywalling is a way for the
medical profession (and others) to maintain their power over patients.
The problem is doctors don't keep up with all the research the way an
expert patient might. They don't spend their hours in solitude reading
study after study looking for answers. Their time is limited and they
need a life even if I don't.

In my interactions with doctors the number of studies I've read and can
quote from is one of the most powerful ways to redress the balance of
power. It's been very effective, for example the last time I saw a
psychiatrist I was able to challenge the value of applying a label such
that he referred me to the treatment I'd asked for without applying a
diagnostic label. Unfortunately the therapist at the very late initial
assessment couldn't listen to me and what I wanted, judged me then
referred me to a service I didn't want. My mental health detriorated
significantly though I'm dragging myself out of the rutt now. For her a
patient couldn't have the power of self-referral to access psychological
support. I had to do what she said first.

And I'm much better now. I'm hardly experiencing any suicidal thoughts
though I'm planning to kill myself through an assisted suicide in 4
years. How egocentric of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"