Tuesday 14 December 2010

Totally nucking futs - a printer that prints itself

While looking for information on the state of play of object, Z- or 3D
printers I came across this extraordinary concept: a printer that prints
itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RepRap_Project

So it's an object printer capable of making the bits to make itself.
Spooky eh? It's what cell replication is like.

It's also a totally brilliant idea for the economics of 3D printers. I
hadn't even thought about this when I heard about this over a decade
ago. The first unit is expensive but afterwards it's just the advanced
polymers and a few other bits that are expensive. (Why do I suddenly
feel like I sound like a 3D printer salesman...).

This is a revolutionary ownership model and very third wave of humanity.
Henry Ford never thought that factories might build factories one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"