Friday 3 December 2010

One of my favourite quotes and one of the hardest to live by

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi

This is the most depressing but humbling quote I know. It was mentioned
at the Mind conference last year by one of the speakers. I told it to
the Climate Camp protestors last year as they took a tube a few stops
instead of walking. Even as I think about it now I feel my sense of
failure. I can't live up to this quote but it's better to be unhappy
trying than to ignore the power and potential of the message.

Too much change is done by people who foist their ideals on other people
but don't apply them to themselves. For example I want more compassion
and love in the world but I don't give enough. My blackened heart is no
excuse for my ways. I want people to be more friendly but perhaps I'm
not friendly enough. I want to end exclusions and divides but perhaps I
create them or don't observe my exclusion of other people. I blame the
rich for blindly walking past the homeless and not giving but I spend
lots of money on alcohol. I want equality but I don't treat people
equally enough.

Those are good reasons to be unhappy and those are good things to work upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"