Wednesday 29 December 2010

Let wisdom guide? Let them suck on my chocolate salty balls

This seems to be an important thing to say.

Let wisdom guide is the motto of the Royal College of Psychiatry.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I think many psychiatrists understand the social model and hoe it has more relevance in mental health than with physical illnesses. It's about the impact caused by the fuckedupness of society.

There is psychopathology but there's the social and occupational outcomes which are poorer. As society advances this becomes less. For example as society advanced it accepted that black people wanted to be free. The illness of drapetomania (admittedly never codified in a psychiatric manual) became a non-illness and the outcomes less. Of course now slavery doesn't exist and perhaps people are willing to accept that black people held in servitude might want to run away a lot and this is a sane thing. It may even be laudable.

And so society can change so mental illness is healed without treating the individual. I think most women nowadays haven't been masturbated by their doctor yet this was an approved treatment two centuries ago for the endemic of hysteria. Today the prevalence of conversion disorders or sexual dysfunction which would be the modern equivalents are tiny compared to prevalence way back in the day. And so few doctors masturbate their female patients in modern times. Those which do risk getting struck off if found out.

Changing society becomes a priority of any wise system of mental health.

But perhaps I'm wrong.

I'll let the reader decide. Let wisdom guide or let the Royal college of psychiatry suck on my chocolate salty balls?

They do so little society changing its not funny. They leave charities to do the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"