Friday 24 December 2010

Guide to buying a cheap smartphone

1 - buy on ebay
2 - buy a model released last year or the year before.
3 - Research widely. Many early model smartphones have quirks or lack
the processing power for the very best applications.

I've recently got a T-mobile G1/HTC Dream. It's the first Google phone.
There's a huge community of developers making software upgrades for the
phone. The main reason I chose it was as an alternative to a light,
portable laptop. My primary use for a laptop is text and internet
access. When I was taking photos I'd need a proper business
ultraportable but editing photos on the move wasn't part of my current
requirement.

The G1 can't multitask well and augmented reality applications are
limited in their performance however many useful applications like Beer
Goggles work well. There's lots of community upgrades which can install
customised and new versions of the Android operating system however
installing these is best done by technical users.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"