Wednesday 15 December 2010

Mobile phones applications and charities

This sounds like a really crappy application for teenagers. The goal is
laudable but the app itself doesn't look very entertaining.

The Salvation Army drives mobile giving via teen-focused social justice
app - Mobile Commerce Daily - Applications
<http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/the-salvation-army-drives-mobile-giving-via-teen-focused-social-justice-app/>

Charities still think a mobile phone is something used to make telephone
calls, at least in the UK. They're so much more. They're an opportunity
for charities looking to experiment with new channels of revenue
generation,. brand awareness and campaigning.

Many UK charities were slow to realise the potential of social network
applications. May have yet to catch up. Charities form part of the Third
Sector and this sector is historically IT naive.

Going from one end of the spectrum to the other, going from working at a
national mental health charity to a bleeding edge technology firm is
enlightening. Charities are focused on value from their IT and a no risk
strategy. Where I used to work the fastest PC was slower than the
fastest mobile phone next year, all apart from one which was purchased
by an employee who was a fellow power user and got so friustrated with
the IT he bought his own computer in. My personal IT situation is
currently little better but this is a problem of expendiency, i.e. I
haven't got time to build and setup a new PC. I just need to get on with
my job.

This mentality is a leftover from the charity sector. I know that
getting my setup sorted will improve productivity in the long term and
greatly reduce my frustrations however I felt I need to get the core
part of my role sorted first and this meant getting a site ready very
quickly with some good, high brow content.

I'm a professional blogger and this sounds impossible to people in the
charity sector because they still think news and opinion are things only
found in newspapers. New media is a new area for them as it is for me.

I'm blogging on mobile phone and other technology related to a brand. I
come across a lot of new ideas which would be useful for charities to
increase their impact and reach a young audience but I think few
charities would understand the opportunity. The big marketing companies
understand it though. They're fighting for purchase in the new estate of
mobile phones for brand awareness and product promotion, utility and new
avenues for generating leads and sales. These are all things
successfully charities do to but they call it raising awareness,
campaigning, fundraising and other charity concepts.

Maybe they need a consultancy? A not-for-profit charitable one of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"