Sunday 30 May 2010

An after thought on the relabelling of schizophrenia

Shit. Bugger. Damn and blast. I've forgotten about the power of the
placebo effect.

I haven't read the study but it's often quoted that brighter, more
colourful, better packaged pills work better. Side effects can exist
with placebo drugs. The results in homepathy and placebo-controlled ECT
show the power of the mind for healing. So changing the term makes sense
and could, perhaps, in the short term have some benefit. I'm unaware of
any study done on the effect of relabelling. I might have a look for
that at some point.

However, "super amazing ultra mega person" should be what the diagnosis
should be changed to, not social integration disorder or post trama
psychosis or even Care Bears.

More realistically ego death or spiritual crisis are positive
interpretations of a very distressing experience. The promotion of the
concepts behind these terms is equally important and I'd suggested
higher levels of well being are experienced by people who are aware of
these interpretations as well as the psychopathological interpretation,
i.e. brain illness and/or social dysfunction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"