Thursday 27 May 2010

Knowing the rules and knowing when to break them

The shot with the crow loosely adheres to the compositional rule of
thirds. Elements are positioned alone thirds lines on at the point where
the thirds line intersects.

The paintery shot of a tree is technically incorrect. Some of the bottom
should be lopped off. But the shot works better as it was shot. The shot
is also lighter than my usual preference however I wanted to give a
feeling of summer.

Both of these images are heavily processed using Adobe Lightroom 3 Beta
2. The free trial is over soon and I'm totally hooked by the workflow
and am finally getting the results I could get with Gimp.

These images have been created only using tools available in the
darkroom. No effects filters have been applied. The shots have been
heavily sharpened using unsharp mask, the contrast tweaked, the black
levels increased and saturation heavily iincreased. Lightroom offers two
controls not found on other photo packages. Vibrancy and Clarity.
Vibrancy is an alternative to saturation and would be the equivalent of
changing films to select different levels of colour richness, so
choosing Velvia for the saturated rich colours or Portra for natural
tones. Clarity is the tool I'm least familiar with. Its a sort of blur
effect that only works on highlights (I think). There are specific
darkroom techniques, for example using stocking material or a vaseline
coated glass plate in front of the enlarger lens or setting the enlarger
lens out of focus on a sceond exposure on the same print, that could
achieve unusual blur effects however I am unsure if this last tool full
meets the criteria of something that could be achieved in the darkroom.

Canon 50D and Sigma 400mm f5.6
ISO 400 f5.6 1/500 sec (both shots)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"