Sunday 30 May 2010

Can technology become designed for well being?

I've noticed over the last year or two more and more electronics
manufacturers are attempting to push the eco-friendliness of their
products. The engineers as always are driven by the market and the
marketing department (well explained in the Dilbert cartoons).

Computers can cause a lot of stress to people in high performance roles.
There are stories of city traders throwing non-functioning equipment at
support staff.

Technology is meant to make life better. In the modern age it may make
it worse. For example the social network application and email has led
to new levels of community and social connection across the world,
however there is now too much communication to deal with.

What if the new marketing tag line was, "this is a stress-free product"
and the product designers had this on their list of priorities. It's
worked reasonably well for Apple already. People pay a premium for this
quality.

It hasn't caught on as a fashion in the technology industry, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"