Monday 24 May 2010

Who started the movement to change the Japanese word for schizophrenia

>From this radio transcript which is worth a quick read.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/mind/s726169.htm

Zenkaren was the name of the organisation that started campaigning for the change of the Japanese word for schizophrenia back in 1993.

There's another interesting little snip.
"A recent study reveals that over 80% of doctors avoid naming schizophrenia in front of patients and their families because of the stigma, even when it’s the right diagnosis."

Togo-Shicchou-Sho is the new word or ‘loss of integration disorder’

Some other information about Japan.
"
Japan is said to have the highest number of patients in psychiatric hospitals in the world, and most of these are private. 

The country’s suicide rate is just staggering, more than 30,000 people a year.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"