Saturday 15 May 2010

Psych wards and me

I just spoke to a very dear friend of mine. She reminded me of the
horror of the psychiatric experience for people who have it really hard
in life. The psychiatric ward system will be looked back as madness
personified but for those who live in the present it can be a hell,
especially for so-called non-compliant or challenging individuals.

Staff (they really shouldn't be called nurses) have an inhumane weapon
for coercion: the injection. Anyone who's been through the experience of
being coerced to take medication by the threat of "acute
tranquilisation" will know just how inhumane mental healthcare can be.
It may, perhaps, be why my mind fills with venom when people use the
term "well being" so people forget what really happens when a person's
well being is poor. How do you think your well being would be had you
gone through that experience?

Anyone who's been through the experience of having a thick needle
forcibly rammed into their arse to inject a high dose of antipsychotic
with the purpose of inducing unconsciousness and also to break an
individual's will (this effect is rarely spoken about) would know the
real fucking horrors of NHS-funded and government-backed mental health
in the UK in 2010. I know when it happened to me the first time I was in
a state and it's not surprising because most people would feel similar
if they had their liberty taken away while they'd been in crisis, been
thrown into a dingy ward and told they were a nutter. At least I
struggled then. A few years after when I was sectioned again I was acute
tranquilised with the desire to force me into a state of unconsiousness
without due cause. Even the Head of Mental Health Services at the trust
agreed that de-escalation procedures should have been used and my
sectioned status could have been illegal though the counterargument they
would have made was that I was a risk to myself. The second time the NHS
used this tool to 'treat' a natural human reaction to an insane
environment I didn't struggle and there was no need to make me
unconscious to deal with my challenging behaviour.

This is why I started campaigning but in my journey I've lost my way. My
conversation with her has helped me get a little closer to finding my
direction and purpose again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"