Sunday 9 May 2010

Isolation and self-inflicted isolation

Stigma creates isolation and exclusion but there is another effect where
an individual can exclude themselves from their social group for many
reasons.

Yesterday I had a really bad day but I had to go to a friends birthday
party. I usually enjoy a good party and I was going to see a lot of old
friends there so I'd been looking forward to it, but my mood had rapidly
deteriorated that during the day and I fell into an intensely withdrawn
state where I didn't want to interact. It is hard because my usual mask
is one of joviality and exuberance. It must have be strange to see me
without my mask. I just couldn't put it up that evening.

As always I feel the experience has value as a learning lesson. I was in
a crowded room but I felt isolated. I was amongst friends but I was
alone. I couldn't function with the spontaneity to engage in a
conversation because of tiredness and feeling of emptiness. I wasn't
present in the conversations I had to meet the minimum etiquette of a party.

I isolated myself. It wasn't caused by the stigma of mental illness. It
was caused by intense mental distress during the day and exhaustion, and
perhaps post-binge alcohol depression.

If that state of mind went on for a prolonged period of time it would be
a horrible thing for anyone to go through. I think that's what would be
called clinical depression. One day like that certainly isn't though the
intensity and the extreme of the mood change is possibly noteworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"