Monday 24 May 2010

the meaning and the individual and the choice of word

It hit me today.

Bleuler probably meant "splitting of mental faculties" when he
relabelled dementia preacox to schizogruppen or whatever. As far as I am
aware the 1908 paper did not use the exact term "schizophrenia."

The debate often centres around the greek etymological root. But this is
bollocks. The meaning of the word comes from what Bleuler meant it to
mean. "split mind" may be as correct as "shattered mind" if looking at
the Greek root of the word schizophrenia but this is of little
relevance. The concept of schizogruppen and its meaning as Bleuler used
it either in the 1908 paper or more usefully in the 1911 book is what
schizophrenia means. And I think what he meant was splitting of the
mental faculties, which is different from a splitting of the mind and a
shattering of the mind.

Words are important. Concepts moreso.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"