Sunday 16 May 2010

schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder/dissociative identity disorder

I thought it was a public misconception that these are the same thing. I
thought the misconception may have come from the possible inaccurate
translation of "schizophrenia" as split mind instead of shattered mind.

In psychiatric practice these are considered different disorders and
this is clear in DSM (the American diagnostic criteria). I'm unable to
find DID or MPD in the online version of ICD-10 though other
dissociative states are listed. I know of at least one person in the UK
who has been given this diagnosis so in practice there are mental health
professionals who use this diagnosis but others may not. I don't know
what it would be classified as because the treatment options are
different. The existence of MPD/DID does not have a category so when
data is recorded or research conducted people with this diagnosis will
be classified in other categories and lost to the eyes of evidence-based
medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"