Saturday 22 May 2010

Assorted wildlife

I've been playing with my old Sigma 400mm f5.6. It's another independent
lens that doesn't work on modern Canon digital SLR except at the widest
aperture. Getting an in focus shot is very hard because of the small
depth of field at long focal lengths and wide apertures which make for a
small depth of field. The quality is also awful and made worse by the
high ISOs needed to get a high enough shutter speed. 1/750s is the
minimum shutter speed required to get acceptably sharp shots with
minimal blur from hand movements with this lens whereas 1/90s is
sufficient for a 50mm lens. Lenses are invariably worst at their widest
aperture. There is significant purple fringing that can be seen on some
of the edges and a modern lens designed for digital sensors would be
significantly better but cost in the region of £1000 whereas when I
bought this second hand it cost me just over £100. The autofocus is
faster than the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 because the simpler and lighter
optics are easier to move and the len's focus range is insensitive, i.e.
a small adjustment can make a large change in the point of focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"