Sunday 21 November 2010

The evolution of revenge and religion

Revenge is one of the most dangerous human reactions to an event.

Pre-Judaism revenge was unlimited. It was like something out of a
gangster film. You hurt me and I hurt you, your family and your friends.
Revenge could just keep going.

Some people perceive an eye for an eye as a bad solution to revenge but
it marked progress. It provided a limit on revenge.

Then along came the Christian faith and Jesus's teachings. I have no
idea how he did it but he made people give up on revenge entirely. It
may be his (possible) trip to India during those missing years. Turn the
other cheek was an insane thing to say at the time. If a Roman soldier
asks you to carry his back pack ask, "how far?" were teachings that I
guess few could stomach. I'm totally into those teaching but it's bloody
hard.

I don't know what Mohammed thought about revenge. I'm not sure if it got
any better than what Jesus said.

Revenge gets a person nowhere. The current action against the banks by
attempting to create a run on the banks is revenge that serves no
purpose but to harm the people. The bankers are very wealthy and won't
become poor. They'll just be less rich. Whereas without the banking
system, the tax revenue and the bank jobs there's less money floating
around, less tax and therefore less money for the state.

It's the sort of thing that could bankrupt the economy unnecessarily.
The consequences of revenge can be far reaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"