Wednesday 24 November 2010

My first experience of 3D TV

I've been out of the technology sector for a while up until earlier this
year. I'd become disinterested but not uninterested.

A pub I was in had a 3D TV. Without the right glasses the screen looked
fuzzy. With the glasses on it was a totally different experience and an
amazing experience. Seeing a football game in 3D is truly amazing. It
must be what it was like for people to experience colour TV for the
first time. It was a much more engaging experience. My eyes dotted
around the screen as I experienced the new sense of depth from what was
once a flat medium.

But it only worked when I was in the right area in the 'sweet spot',
i.e. I had to be in right place directly infront of the TV at the same
level and a set distance away from the screen. Outside the sweet spot
the experience became poor. Worst of all was the experience from where I
was sitting. It returned to being the same fuzzy view as without the
glasses.

Again the implementation of the technology didn't work. People sit
around and watch the match in the pub. They're not going to be standing
in the right position. Only a few people could fit into the sweet spot
if they crammed in. I think they probably don't want to be wearing
glasses to watch a game though the experience was definitely worth it
when it worked.

With the current technology 3D TV's just don't work in the pub
environment. It is an amazing experience but has poor real world
application in the pub. This is true of a lot of technology. Early
adopters are ok with this but this can turn off the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"