Friday 19 November 2010

I'm totally fucking Machivellian

I do hate myself for this thinking. But I can live with that. I hate
myself for many other things though. Got over self-hate a long time ago.

Targeting children for marketing augmented reality can increase uptake.
They don't have the cynicism of their parents. They're excited about
things. They have little money but their parents have lots, Many parents
want to give them the best.

Imagine a marketing campaign that promotes brand awareness of a product
in the run up to Christmas. It targets children. Say its for a new
console or a new phone. This is already done by many marketing companies
I think.

Get the kids talking to their parents abou tthis cool new product and
many will be persuaded to buy expensive gadgets as Christmas presents.
Those who are left out will nag their parents to get them what everyone
else has for their birthday or for passing their exams.

There's a great ethical debate about doing bad to do good. Is the arms
trader who sells guns then gives money to support anti-war causes doing
a good thing?

Machiavelli was this philosopher guy. He wrote a book asking the
question, "do the ends justify the means?"

Fuck knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"