Thursday 18 November 2010

Psychiatrist-related anxiety and high levels of medication given inappropriately

Some people get anxious and tense when seeing a psychiatrist. They have
good reason to too. This enhanced emotional state may mean they seem
more ill when they meet a psychiatrist rather than when they see their
CPN or social worker or just hang out with a friend.

I'm concered one of my friends is being overmedicated because she's been
given over the BNF max of quetapine. I can imagine that when she's
around a psychaitrist she may get angry or annoyed or flippant. When
she's around me she's nothing like that.

This is significant for many patients. They may end up overmedicated
because of their reaction to psychiatrists. They're still powerholders
and the fear or other emotion experienced around psychiatrists may mean
they get more medication than they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"