Sunday 21 November 2010

A little on gender and brain structure

I came across this bit of information on the Wiki page on the Corpus
Callosum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_callosum#Physiologic_imaging_and_gender_identity_disorder
"
Researchers were able to demonstrate that the shape of the corpus in men
who felt they were female were actually reversed, and that the same held
true for women who felt they were men. The publishers of this article
argued that the shape of the corpus defined the mental sex of an
individual over their physical sex.
"

It's worth reading a little on the controversy around Gender Identity
Disorder. It really feels like one of those mental illness that
shouldn't be a mental illness but is still associated with distress and
social disability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity_disorder#Controversy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"