Friday 19 November 2010

Summary of reactions to QPC's promo video (a ramble)

I'[ve had a few responses to the first promo video from QPC on
Articulated Naturality Web.

Pretty much universally the reactions were "wow!" They were also
incredulous. I deliberately chose to test the video on the public and
they're not as up to date on the technology as people in the industry. A
film director said it was very powerful. Someone who's a writer for the
BBC mentioned a virtual reality TV program that used to be on UK TV -
Nightmare - because she needed something that would fit in with
something she'd experienced before. A director of a social justice firm
simply said "wow!" She may have kept her disbelief silent though.
Someone who's an auditor at an investment firm commented whether it was
practical and another person who's senior at a training firm also made a
similar comment.

The disbelief is about unawareness. I think a decade ago people would
have said to me, "what? A free encyclopaedia written by people for free.
Seriously. Great idea but it's impossible" And yet now we have Wikipedia.

This cynicism may be a British thing but I think many people would
criticise the idea. How would it be trustworthy if anyone can update it?
We now know that the Wiki page is as trustworthy as any encyclopaedia
and perhaps more so. There's a debate that's possible. Admittedly there
are problems when certain organisations, specifically the
Scientologists, aim to edit the information to their benefit. This has
been tackled though.

There's also the problem of poor research. This was most notable in the
case of the misinformation about the etymology of schizophrenia. It was
a common misconception reiterated on the Wiki page a year or so ago that
the etymology of schizophrenia means it means shattered or split mind.
While the Latin roots of the term may mean that it's totally irrelevant.
Schizophrenia is a new word created by Bleuler to label a new concept
different from the Kraeplinean concept dementia praecox. It's not like
agoraphobia - literally fear of the market - which etymological
principles can be applied to.

All across the internet you will still see the etymology of
schizophrenia stated as meaning split or shattered mind but these are
incorrect. I spend a long time trying to discover what a professor could
quickly work out. Bleuler in his paper in the early 20th century and the
book he published a few years later referred to schizogruppen - the
group of schizophrenias. He meant to use the Latin word for split (or
shattered) but not splitting of the mind as in two personalities (which
is really ...well.... it could be many diagnoses I think but most likely
dissociative identity disorder). He meant the separation of the
faculties of the mind. This is the concept and the use of etymology is
both irrelevant and wrong.

I told this to a Wikier and I think he sorted out the schiziphrenia page
so now it's correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

So the free encyclopedia does work. I'm afraid I don't have a paper
encyclopaedia to check whether these also made the same mistake.

So while people are dreaming about the future Articulated Naturality Web
and others are criticising the ideas I think none of us can truly
predict this future and what will work and what won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"