Wednesday 17 November 2010

Telepresence - this is what will bring the older generation into using AR-type technology

The older generation generally have little interest in the technology
fads that come and go. I'm afraid I'm one of them when it comes to
computing technology. I'm more interested in social change and humanity
- real challenges.

I think what the older generation want is a better way to connect with
their family. That's all they use a mobile phone for now. It's why they
might get a Facebook account and I think it's why they'll get into any
new technology: it makes connecting with their loved ones easier.

Telepresence is the technology terminology for what's broadly part of
the mixed reality continuum but applied to commication over long
distances. Globalisation has made families more dispersed as the workers
go where the work is, and this will be even more common as the recession
forces more people to be nomadic to find work.

Video calls never really took off and I'm not sure why but it's my hope
that telepresence in the ANW will be what gets older people interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"