Saturday 19 March 2011

How even Wikipedia can be changed

Assisted suicide is not a mental illness. It is something which is
treated as such.

I won't reveal the name of the cocktail which is used in assisted
suicide. I've just come across an article referencing the Wiki page and
providing information. The wiki page itself has been modified to remove
all the details from it.

It is hard to get the ingredients in the UK but not impossible so I
won't name the cocktail here. It's noteworthy that Wiki used to have
this information on then I guess the powers that be changed it. The
internet is pretty free though. It's easy enough to find information
about this cocktail. Even if every search engine stopped indexing it (a
very unlikely case) there is always an electronic underground.

I am all for the freedom of speech as an ideal. Freedom of information
too and freedom of supply. It is in cases like this where it's hard to
make a decision about whether censorship is right or wrong. As a
principle censorship is always wrong. This is an ideal which may not be
practical in modern society but it is an ideal to work towards.

For inexperienced web researchers finding information on suicide methods
is reasonably hard. For anyone with any web savvy or academic knowledge
it's a lot easier. The point is that people don't need to find
information on methods. It's fairly quick to work out there are lots of
ways a person can die. These are painful, messy ways. Some offer more
risks than others. The methods used by assisted suicide campaigners will
likely represent a very small percentage of the completed suicides in
the UK. Completers use other methods than pills, one's which no change
in the Wikipedia entry can stop. They're methods which are available to
everyone who is willing to think about how to do it. There are many
methods which people use with varying degrees of success. Access to
information or supply of a specific drug only enforces control on what
are considered non-mental illness suicides.

I have not come to a conclusion on my toughts about assisted suicide as
a priniple. Had I reached one conclusion I would have publishedmore
information which could help other people terminate their life. Even I
have self-censored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"