Thursday 31 March 2011

On being different

I am a cheat. On Saturday night/Sunday morning I was speaking to some protestors who'd set up camp in Hyde Park overnight. I told them I campaigned in mental health. I was asked "so you have the mental health" by this lady. Yes. I have the mental health.

I explained to her it wasn't an illness. Its just being different. I was drunk and this was how I communicated my thinking to a person naive to the advanced concepts in mental health.

I cheated because she was a protestor. A liberal and a passionate one. Though not a conscious thought to achieve influence by aiming at something she'd understand from a personal perspective the result was it was powerful, I think, to see the alternative way of thinking about mental illness.

If I were a psyhiatrist i'd have been like a peadophile at a baby pageant. There was mental illness all around were I to see people who are different as being mentally ill. That is, after all, what psychiatry does. The schoolyard exclusion enforced with science.

Difference in this sense is as much of a construct as mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"