Thursday 10 March 2011

I love Robert Whitaker

He's getting the discussion out there and he's getting psychiatrists
talking about it. He's an extraordinarily important person in the
history of the treatment of different types of people. He's challenging
the hegemony of psychiatry.

This piece is a little bit of what he's done for the cause of humankind.
He's getting the psychiatrists to start thinking.
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2011/01/whitaker-psychiatry-epidemic/

We come from different view points. I perceive human behaviour and
emotion may have biological cause. They have many causes. This is the
biopsychosocial model of cause and was invented by a physical - or real
- doctor to explain the cause of physical illness. It is theorectical
and second only to the spirituobiopsychosocial model but I've only ever
heard one author refer to this concept.

What society does with behaviour is called psychiatry. There are other
fields but the highest science and investment is in psychiatry. It also
has the privilege of medicine. There is little oversight. There is
little protection for patients. They have less rights than the average
person. They have less rights in some ways than murderers, for example
they can be chemically coshed.

Psychiatry doesn't see that it's attempting to change behaviour and
emotion as well as place judgements of negativity on experiences they
may not truly understand because they only see them from the outside.
There are too few lived experience psychiatrists.

So while they debate the evidence I question the very theory itself.
Foucault says it better than me and Jeff Foster's non-duality stuff is
also useful to understand that the human condition, as an objective or
scientific concept, is beyond our methods of science that the moment.
All that is being done is to create a Westernised system (what I take
from Ethan Watters work) of norms of behaviour and call it medicine
instead of religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"