Thursday 10 March 2011

"The soul would have no rainbow unless the eyes had tears."

This was a wonderful piece of native American wisdom in the Canadian
service user magazine Notre Voix/Our Voice

I find this is a powerful message. Depression is a construct. Though
misery and pain can exist, though these conditions of the heart and soul
can have a biological basis, they are not illnesses and they are not
wrong. Those are subjective valuations.

Misery is part of life. I think this perspective is something I might
share with people who are a lot older than I am. They've lived long
lives and understand that unhappiness comes and goes. It is a much
harder life for someone who chooses to experience misery rather than
take narcotics to get them high. They may be easier to get on with or
they might be able to keep working. These times may be important to our
personal growth and life course.

We're coming to the end of a long, cold winter. I wonder if anyone else
is feeling better with the sun on their face and the gentle breeze
instead of a biting wind. I wonder if the flowers blooming are bringing
colour to the soul which was barren as the land in winter. I wonder if
spring would feel good if it were here all the time.

Or, perhaps, do we need winter to appreciate spring and summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"