Thursday 24 March 2011

It's sort of funny

In truth I have a high expectation and a high ideal of what is medicine and what it is to be a doctor. That red cross on a white vehile is a target in a war but the convention, often upheld even when other conventions aren't, is those vehicles are not part of the war. They are proected because those men and women in them are healers. They are not part of the war. They treat people regardless of if they are friend or foe.

They are given that privilege because that's what good doctors do.

There are other ideals I have of doctors and that's what informs the rest of the length rants against the profession. They are better than what they achieve in psychiatry in practice. All laws are suspended because they're doctors. The medico-legal framework circumvents the basic tenets of crime, punishment and justice because doctors rule.

They're given all those privileges of autonomy because they're expected to live to the ideals of the profession.

First, do no harm. I think those use to be the first words any doctor spoke. In latin though.

Those are amazing ideals so in a bizarre sense all my rants are driven by the love of the ideal, and it basdardisation with things I have little time for when they're associated with the privilege or the paradigm of medicine.

Well...it's not funny really. Depends what your personal sense of understanding humour is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"