Monday 14 March 2011

Is £7885 a year being poor.

No. Poverty in London is defined as £100 a week of disposable income or £5200 a year. It's still not a lot to live on.

Imagine some people earn 12 times that in a year. It's astounding.

In the last year I've got as much money as a person on medical benefits who also makes a little extra on permitting earnings. I've earned my income. I've earned more but it will arrive later. I hope so anyway.

It's not poverty though. It is low income but not poverty. People who've had much more disposable income than I may not have had the quality or quantity of experiences I've had in the last year. I've been more able to be spontaneous than they, I've developed as an individual rather than a professional of whatever corporate they represent and, most of all, I've had time to do what I want to do.

Perhaps this is a type of poverty not understood enough. The poverty of personal time. Those high earners swap freedoms for the company and the wealth which comes with it. They're dedicated and this means a loss of personal freedoms. As I've always described myself in those circumstances of subservience bought by a company I call myself a whore. I stand no perjorative with that word. Many do it.

There is a poverty the rich suffer, a poverty which means their lives which are empowered by the freedom to enjoy the experiences of the world accessed by financial wealth their lives are fettered by the demands of their profession, careers and the satisfaction from (or fear of losing) their status.

I've lived the jealousy of both worlds, the jealousy of the rich and the jealousy of the poor (or whatever perjorative). I appear to be wealthy but I live of meagre means. I seem to live a life which people who earn a lot would pay to experience; I tell the positive stories which coming from living a partially unabridled life.

I may be a lonely old freak though wrapped up in their own mad little world pursuing a mad cause which makes sense. I do it for not a lot of money and I live better than most who experience forms of poverty yet unobserved by the consensus reality held amongst the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"