Thursday 17 March 2011

A mode of therapy for severe mental illness

Antipsychiatry and positivity.

First teach the ijndividual that the psychiuatric model can be questioned. Enable them to make free choices. Give people the knowledge of psychiatry and the wisdom from other mental health systems.

Then realign the concept further. Let them see the positive images. Let them know about John Nash and Van Gogh and the black activists diagnosed and incarcerated with the label of schizophrenia.

Let them know that Gandhi and Churchill heard voices. Let them understand the label can be applied to people who change the world. Bad people too I suspect, certainly that's the image promoted by the media and movies.

The reason is to change the outcomes. I think self stigma can create part of the prognosis of clinical and social deficits in outcomes. I think the psychiatric hegemony are unable to treat it because they don't understand it. Manic depressives and schizophrenics are complicated individuals.

They might fear empowering patients with knowledge and positivity about their phenotype. This is fear of loss of their power to dominate the lives of the mentally ill with their methods, methods which are often inhumane as the history of psychiatry shows more than any other area of acceptable protocols used on citizens.

I think the label creates a part of the prognosis. I think psychiatry itself needs this sort of therapy as well as newly diagnosed people.

Phenotypes. That's all its about. Judgement upon those is not truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"