Thursday 24 March 2011

Knucking Futs: Street slang and schizophrenia

While hunting for another paper I came across this case study. It wasn't
what I expected. It's short and has an interesting exercise in how
without good understanding of the individual's culture and incorrect
diagnosis can be made. Admittedly the individual ended up with a
schizophrenia-like experience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2151166/

What I take from this case is how this could be used by doctors to treat
what's called here the "prodome of schizophrenia" which is assume means
a syndrome before schizophrenia. The clinical argot can sometimes make
understand what they're saying in papers a challenge.

As doctors writing a case study they're focusing on the individual.
They've shown a rare degree of cultural sensitivity to determine what's
natural language for the patient and their culture before automatically
deciding the unknown words are a sign of what they call a pathological
process, a symptom of illness. Nonetheless they're looking just a
thought disorder and slang as though they're not interconnected.

Thought disorder and the creation of new words seems intertwined, though
psychiatrists would probably argue that thought disorder is definitely
pathological. It could also be a creative facet which is hard to control
at times. I sometimes get a form of tying dislexia or something.
Something which means I mistype words I know how to type. I once wrote
the word "spychaitry" by accident. The person I wrote to was a creative
coach. She saw it and didn't see a mistype. She saw a word that meant
spying on psychiatry, something which I sort of do in the sense that
read lots of papers and pick out information which people didn't know
about psychiatry.

This isn't specifically thought disorder. This is just an example of how
these vagries of creativity could be seen differently to people who
don't know what creativity was. This wasn't even two people formally
engaging in a creative process but an accident helped us both stumble
upon a word which was apt for a personal concept. Admittedly I've not
used that word.

I've used the word "automoton" frequently on this blog. It's a
neologism. There's a reason though. It serves as a perjorative word to
describe the opposite of the mentally ill, a concept which is often
(incorrectly) described by the word normal.

Thought disorder is an extreme. The authors of the paper haven't gone
into enough detail about what formal thought disorder is like though I
think the articule is enough to suggest that most diagnosis of thought
disorder is highly subjective if the psychiatrist is not aware of the
language used in the culture.

Thought disorder and other creative extremes are essential to the
creation of the slang of the street too. This may be schizoptypy rather
than schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is an extreme and society often
rejects extremes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"