Saturday 26 March 2011

Just because there's a neurobiological basis doesn't make it an illness

Love and I'm sure happiness could all be shown to have a neurobiological basis and an extreme level of one or more neurotransmitters associated with them. If society decided love was a bad thing, for example if some psychiatrist pointed out that people do terrible things in the name of love, then it would be possible to pathologise it in the same way that unhappiness or anger are pathologised. Richard Bentall, a critical psychiatrist, has written a paper to show how happiness could easily be pathologised using psychiatric methods just as depression...I mean msery is.

The biochemical thing is the only thing which allows the use of the word illness for the human condition. But it is wrong and the paradigm has shifted away from pure biomedical explanations anyway.

It's not a fucking illness and never was in other words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"