Wednesday 9 March 2011

The use of outcome measures for psychological therapies makes the tools of sociopolitical/economic control

This should be a rant but I'm going to keep it simple.

The measures are vital in evidence based medicine. In psychiatry they create what all therapies are measured on. The question is what do they measure? It is not illness they measure nor treat, not in the sense of a real illness.

Without measures psychological therapies could be understood as presenting the right sort of people at the right time in a person's journey in life. People like Jeff Foster might be considered psychological therapists. Gurus, sages and priests might also be seen in the same category.

Importantly, they are not driven by outcome as mesured by science. They may teach things which are used by therapists. They empower individuals rather than specifically attempt to achieve an outcome. At least the good ones do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"