Friday 11 March 2011

The periodic table of elements, compounds and an analogy for mental illness and cause

I've thought for a long time the periodic table in chemistry makes a lot of sense in mental health.

I'm not talking about the biology of mental health. I'm talking about the idea of elements interacting to make compounds. This is in part determinants and part the genotype to phenotype thing, concepts which may be synonymous in the sense of cause and effect. There are things which go together to create the emotions, behaviours and experiences of consiousness.

Psychiatry is separate for this. It creates the judgements of abnormality. It is not about something absolute. Psychiatry choses to judge certain 'compounds' ill and tries to transmute them into other types. My view is all compounds exist. A society places judgements upon those it dislikes at whatever time and in whatever culture. Religion did this before. Psychiatry does it now. Social psychiatry might do it in the future but they'd be seeking to treat society rather than the individual.

There are just people. Some are called psychiatrists and their job is to judge another person's behaviour, emotions or experience of reality/consciousness as wrong and/or ill which enables them to use methods to remove those things deemed as wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"