Sunday 24 October 2010

Asking new questions in mental health

This is probably an interesting article I'm about to read but I have to
pick at the first paragraph.

From
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=optogenetics-controlling

"
Despite the enormous efforts of clinicians and researchers, our limited
insight into psychiatric disease (the worldwide-leading cause of years
of life lost to death or disability) hinders the search for cures and
contributes to stigmatization. Clearly, we need new answers in
psychiatry. But as philosopher of science Karl Popper might have said,
before we can find the answers, we need the power to ask new questions.
In other words, we need new technology.
"

I agree up until the last line. I think the powerful question to ask is
is it really an illness and if not then how should it be treated? The
anthropological view of Foucault perceives mental illness very
differently to the psychiatric view. Progressive and critical
psychiatrists have offered alternative understandings and explanations.
The best treatise on the question of what is mental illness I found was
the first chapter of Mental Health Promotion: Paradigms and Practice by
Keith Tudor. It was very complex.

Truly progress will be achieved by the power to ask new and searching
questions. I'm not sure more technology going into a system that may
simply be formally instituting temporal judgements of normality on
people by misusing science is the way forward.

I could take exception to the first line as well. Psychiatric disease
isn't the cause of the disability. The disease in society that means
people don't accept weirdness, strangeness or madness is what cause the
disability. Psychiatrists are the agents through which the disease is
propagated as science.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"