Friday 29 October 2010

The voice inside your head: what is it?

You may have a voice in your head, an internal conversation, a committee
in your head or a stream of consciousness. The admission of having a
voice in your head would have got you sectioned in America 40 years ago.
Today people are more willing to accept that they have a voice in their
head.

And then they leave it like that. They stop the thought process there.
It's enough to observe this fact which half a century ago might have
meant your liberty would be threatened.

Speak to a mental health professional and they might say, oh that's just
your .....and then insert all the different secular interpretations.

I might have agreed with their opinion but I went through a process that
also has many names and this taught me a different interpretation.

Our brains are either so over-engineered that they are capable of
producing not just one consciousness but two or three or more, or the
voice inside your head is not coming from your organic brain matter. It
may exist there, i.e. whatever happens within a brain to create the
stream of consciousness might be affected such that measurement would
perceive the effect to come from the brain (once brain science is up to
this). It's a little bit like wireless networking and having an on-line
chat. It looks like everything is happening on screen if I was sitting
in the room with the person on the computer and I didn't understand that
there's a wireless internet connection.

Most people are willing to admit to a duologue yet never consider they
may be speaking to someone or something else. A duologe is a
conversation between two consciousnesses. A dialogue is a conversation
with two or more. I've generally found that conversations are done with
two consciousnesses. An "I" and the others.

I cheat somewhat and use the term "god" to describe what is this other
force or entity I'm chatting to in my head just like you may find
happens to you. It isn't god out of the religious texts. Most of that's
bullshit lost in translation and time, e.g. heaven and hell may simply
be states of mind rather than the after life but people couldn't
understand that so they just said oh yeah. He's chatting about the
afterlife.

There are many alternate theories as to what this other consciousness
is. I am usually careful to call it a non-corporeal entity/ies. It is
not a physical force but I have fel tit's influence (in small ways) in
he physical world. Most of the time it's strange bits of communication
through little tweaks of my fingers as well as the direct stuff in my
head. In this horrible period that others would call psychosis I became
acutely aware that this force or entity had power over me, my body, my
thoughts, my speech and other people and events in the real world. In a
way it feels something like Wittgenstein's evil genius.

Yes. What I'm saying is that the voice in your head may not be yours.
You are told that it is and you are responsible for it. But it may not
be your "I". Psychologists would try to complicate this issue but I find
it simple. Just think about it...or ask the voice in your head what it
thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"