Monday 25 October 2010

CSR idea: research it

When I've looked for research on recession and mental health there was a
dearth. Challenge to opportunity: make sure people in the future can
understand the effects of these economic crises that periodically hit
the global economy. From the little research I've read the effects may
not be what people expect.

This simple point comes from the CSR cuts - or lack of - to healthcare.
The NHS has been relatively spared. However it is assumed that
healthcare need will be constant or grow at the same rate as during the
last 5 years of prosperity. Given the scale of the cuts in other areas,
especially to welfare, I would guess healthcare utilisation would go up.
As more people are unemployed mental healthcare utilisation may decrease
- people have more time to look after each other and there's more
opportunities for social contact. But physical health will go up as more
people turn to self-medication, eat worse, are more stressed by the
;pressures of life, end up homeless and attempt suicide more.

That's a guess though. There's an opportunity to get evidence and do
proper studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"