Sunday 31 October 2010

A paper on the stigma of mental illness shown by psychiatrists

Here's a survey of attitudes. One of the authors, Louis Appleby, is a
pretty senior honcho in mental health in the UK.

Personality disorder: the patients psychiatrists dislike
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/abstract/153/1/44

The paper seems to have become pay-walled. It's these little slips in
reality that make people paranoid that there's a controlling force in
this universe, a controlling force which I battled against and continue
to battle against. I always have a sharp knife by my bed. Well...I do at
the moment anyway. Since the troubles I had with the other consciousness
a few months ago that cost me so much.

But I know these things are delusional. People aren't so sick as to try
and induce suicide by making my world unreal. That would be so sick only
a psychiatrist would do it. At least the sort of psychiatrist that needs
electro-shock immediately.

"
A sample of psychiatrists was asked to read a case vignette and indicate
likely management and attitudes to the patient on a number of
semantic-differential scales. Patients given a previous diagnosis of
personality disorder (PD) were seen as more difficult and less deserving
of care compared with control subjects who were not. The PD cases were
regarded as manipulative, attention-seeking, annoying, and in control of
their suicidal urges and debts. PD therefore appears to be an enduring
pejorative judgement rather than a clinical diagnosis. It is proposed
that the concept be abandoned.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"