Sunday 31 October 2010

Notes on Corpus Callosum

This is the bit that connects the two brain hemispheres.

'deficiencies' are found in certain mental disorders.

There's no treatment for agensis, i.e. where a person is born with a
partially or totally missing corpus callosum. Many people survive and
lead normal lives.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/agenesis/agenesis.htm

It's not found in marsupials which is something I find interesting. They
have an equivalent bit of the brain in function but I assume it works
differently. Might look into taht a bit more. It's amazing just how
different neurological systems can be and still animals and individuals
still function at high levels (in relation to the average or the
'normal' corpus callosum). The human corpus callosum isn't as fast as it
should be. Other mammals have much better transmission times between the
two hemispheres. Humans still manage to have all the things that raise
them above the animals though and the things that make our race below
animals.

My assumption is that interconnectivity between the two hemispheres is a
good thing and more speed means better efficiency and performance. In
fact this was the logic behind the idea that women's brains are
different and better than mens. It was thought their corpus callosum was
bigger so their brain hemispheres worked better. As always, a review of
evidence proves this isn't true, i.e women don't have bigger corpus
callosums for definite when you look at a lot of MRI studies.

My electronics knowledge makes me wonder if the human brain had to hae a
sort of more complex instruction set. Reduced transmission speed would
want me to make the coding instructions sent inbetween the two
processing units more efficient. It would be CISC rather than RISC. This
is totaly guess work though.

Brain biology is pretty interesting stuff though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"