Sunday 24 October 2010

CSR notes: job creation

In my thinking the only way out of an economic slump is more jobs. As I
explained earlier somewhere the problem is productivity. People stop
working. That's it. During the 20the century America got itself out of
the Great Depression by public spending on huge programmes of work. That
takes borrowing and everyone's a bit scared now Iceland went bankrupt.
There's also the problem of inflation.

Some of the ideas I've come up with for the CSR are horrible but it's
just me thinking. At the moment the big public projects I can think of
are all construction ones like the Olympics and the Cross rail project.
These sort of things would have been what Franklin Delanor Roosevelt was
instituting to sort out America's finances. I'm not sure these would be
the right sort of things for Britain 2010 but I can't think what sort of
job creation schemes would be good. FDR did his work programs to kick
start the economy. It created productivity.

People forget the money isn't real, that stock markets and currency
prices are all bullshit. The point is best made in my mind in the film
It's a wonderful life. The main character's a bank manager and he's
there when the stock market crashes. Everyone dashes to the bank to
withdraw their money but there's not enough paper money to give people.
He explains in a way that sticks in my mind. "Fred. You're money's in
John's house. And John. You money's in Frank's business." This is what's
really about money. Bricks and mortar.

But what's also real is it's what people use to buy food, fuel and goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"