Wednesday 27 October 2010

Human rights? Not for mental patients

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/2010/10/27/115682/cqc-mental-health-services-risk-breaching-patient-rights.htm


Another report I should bother to read through. It's pretty sick some of
the stuff that's mentioned in the Community Care article. it's just
stuff that anyone who's been on an NHS ward would tell you. If you need
to report a report rather than speak to a person it's available at
http://www.cqc.org.uk/mha


"
It found cases where "the disregard for privacy and dignity in the name
of patient security was verging on unsafe or potentially abusive
practice", including instances where patients had restricted access to
toilet paper.
"

I've been hospitalised 3 times and I fear another one is imminent.
Thankfully skunk worked to get me eating again. Nothing works for the
death wish. There's any number of human rights violations that happen.
Some of them are done with knowledge. The others are done because
there's little knowledge about psychiatric wards and human rights. I
didn't realise just how many of my human rights were breached when I was
placed in seclusion had I not read the hospitals policies.

The current legal battle over the right to smoke is an important step
forward. It's about defining the rights of those individuals
incarcerated for healthcare rather than crime. Many have their right to
freedom taken away and are not guaranteed those same rights because of
that wonderful catch-all language used in the Human Rights Act., they're
persons of "unsound mind." Just like a gay person would have been
thought 50 years ago. Or an unmarried mother.

Sickos eh? Lock them up and throw away the key.
An unsound mind means no liberty for thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"