Wednesday 31 August 2011

A damning conclusion from the last Count Me In Census

The subjugation of black skinned people is historically intertwined with
the mental healthcare system from early diagnoses such as drapteomania
to the advertising of the antipsychotic as a potent tool to suppress
black activists in America.

The modern system seems to feel some guilt for the situation and has
made attempts to rectify it. The success of these attempts are measured
by the Count Me in Census of ethnicity and mental health. The last one
happened last year and the report stated in its conclusions.
"
Overall, the results of the 2010 census show little change from those
reported for previous years. A detailed comparison between the 2005
baseline and the 2010 census is on page 32.

Although the numbers of inpatients overall have fallen since 2005,
ethnic differences in rates of admission, detention under the Mental
Health Act and seclusion – three of DRE's 12 goals – have not altered
materially since the inception of DRE in 2005:
"

Fuck. That's awful. Anyone who knows the torment and inhumanity of an
inpatient stay will know just how awful it is.
It's this awful.
"
67% of patients had been in hospital for one year or more; 31% for more
than five years
"

Can you imagine living 5 years of your life stuck in an NHS psychiatric
ward? I could barely stand one month under section. It was more hell
than I was willing to put up with.

Here's a link to the full report.
http://www.cqc.org.uk/_db/_documents/Count_me_in_2010_FINAL_(tagged).pdf
<http://www.cqc.org.uk/_db/_documents/Count_me_in_2010_FINAL_%28tagged%29.pdf>

Fuck. I hate thinking about mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"