Wednesday 24 August 2011

Getting West Indian psychiatrists over to show UK and US psychiatrists how to diagnose schizophrenia.

This may be a good solution to the problem of the massive diagnosis of
black people with schizophrenia.

My concern is the UK psychiatrists are taught to diagnose a different
way. They're not diagnosing what was conceived by Bleuler as
schizophrenia but some new construct which evolved over the 20th century
(which is sort of what Metzl says I think) and is further biased by
their conditioning to become doctors, i.e. those few black psychiatrists
are....highly integrated/Westernised because that's what is necessary
for them to succeed and get into medical school. (This skews their
social norms and makes it difficult for them to make better diagnoses
than white psychiatrists because their conditioning means they're far
removed from true African or Caribbean culture.)

Where psychiatrists learn psychiatry has a significant influence on
diagnosis - more than gender or race or age. I wish I could find this
study. I read it as part of a significant piece of work I did into men
and mental health. I was looking for the influence of gender (of
psychiatrists and patient) on diagnosis or lack of diagnosis.

In the end I came across an American study done at a psychiatric
conference. Actors were given a predefined script and they were
interviewed by psychiatrists. These were psychiatrists who were under
test conditions so they would have resorted to their academic interviews
rather than what they would use in clinical practice every day (they
knew they were being trialled). The diagnoses were noted. The trial
showed that it wasn't what people might expect would be the variance in
diagnosis. It wasn't gender or age or ethnicity which was the majjor
factor. The major factor in the difference of diagnosis was where the
psychiatrists learned psychiatry.

This is why my idea of getting psychiatrists over from the West Indies
to show UK psychiatrists how to diagnose schizophrenia without being
racist cunts might be a good idea. Black UK psychiatrists are taught and
conditioned here so they may be little better than white UK
psychiatrists at not being fucking racist cunts. Those workin gin the
West Indies (and perhaps Africa too) might be better able to really
diagnose schizophrenia rather than be a bunch of racist fucking cunts
using the diagnosis to enforce local social norms.

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across you post and found good information here. India offered at with very high standards that offer complete medical care and the surgical departments of the equipped with latest operative instruments enabling smooth and successful completion of surgery.

    India hospitals

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"