Friday 12 August 2011

The UK spends loads of money on a military and nuclear weapons but makes kids pay for education`

What is the point of a military if a university education becomes a
privilege?

The brains of the nation will be much more important in the future. If
Britain wants to remain a superpower after the recession in needs to
U-turn on fees. University education must be free. Too much would be
lost if bright minds stopped their formal education at 18.

University education is more than what's learned in lecture halls.
Heck....in 4 years I went to about a term's worth of lectures for my
degree. I just managed to pass so I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.
But I learned so much during my time at university. I met a lot of
people and learned from them. I learned about what they were learning
about. I learned about the diversity of people. When I went to Warwick
University it was one of the top 5 in the UK but unlike the other
universities there were a lot of people from poor backgrounds.

It was when I started that they started charging kids for a university
education. I'd deferred a year so didn't have to pay any fees but
everyone in my year who didn't take a gap year had to pay fees. Those in
the years above also didn't have to pay fees. This is because Britian
used to believe that education was as much as a right as healthcare.

Then something changed. It sold out on a principle. The principle that
education is a right. The military go out and fight for other countries
to be like Britain. But Britain has lost an important battle on its own
shores. University education is now no longer free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"