Friday 19 August 2011

Schizophrenic - why the word is a good word to use

I chose to use this term because a schizophrenic is a type of person.
They are an important part of the human race's diversity who suffer
significant levels of disabilirty in 2011 Britian; in other time periods
and in other cultures the disability may be less or not even exist at all.

The noun is how schizophrenics used to be described in research and, in
my opinion, it is important the noun is used rather than to label them
as a disease or illness because this invalidates their fundamental right
to exist.

They are like homosexual;s in this sense. Homosexuality is not an
illness since the early 1970s in the US and the early 1990s in the UK
however before the revisions to the psychiatric diagnostic criteria in
US and UK cultures a century ago homosexuals were labelled as ill and
experienced disability and distress as a result of the social judgement
that they were abnormal. Thankfully the latter 20th century saw society
change and accept these people as a valuable and integral part of the
diversity of the human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"