Wednesday 16 June 2010

Last words on the etymology of schizophrenia.

From
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201005/how-schizophrenia-became-black-disease-interview-jonathan-metzl?page=2

"
And in 1911, Swiss psychiatrist Paul Eugen Bleuler argued that the
underlying mechanism in praecox was a "loosening of associations," a
process in which patients existed in the real world and at the same time
turned away from reality ("autism") into the world of fantasy, wishes,
fears, and symbols.

As an early proponent of Freudianism, Bleuler placed psychosis on a
spectrum with neurosis as a developmental disorder with childhood
origins. He maintained that the term dementia praecox should be replaced
by a name that combined the Greek words for split (schizo) and mind
(phrene). "I call dementia praecox 'schizophrenia,' " he wrote, "because
the 'splitting' of the different psychic functions is one of its most
important characteristics."
"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"