Sunday 20 June 2010

A thought on a step before ECT

This sounds really dumb or makes a lot of senses.

ECT is an electrically-induced seizure as far as I am aware. It is an
insane treatment in an insane world.

There's a placebo effect seen in ECT trails. Why not, before using real
ECT, enter each patient into a trial and give them placebo ECT under
trial conditions (to replicate the environment that produced the placebo
ECT effect in some people).

This zany idea could work. But...there's the nocebo effect - the
negative placebo effect. I'm not sure if the same side effects seen in
ECT were seen in the placebo group who responded to treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"