Wednesday 9 June 2010

Just how good is clozapine at treating suicide?

From
http://priory.com/focus14.htm

"
Meltzer, (1999) in the Clozapine and InterSepT study reported a 80-85% reduction in the incidence of suicide in neuroleptic resistant patients on clozapine. 
Walker et al (1997) reported the results of a retrospective analysis of mortality of 67,072 schizophrenic patients receiving clozapine in the interval between April 1 ,1991 and December 31, 1993. The data were acquired from the clozaril national registry. Patients were classified as current, recent, or past clozapine users. The striking finding was that of a dramatic reduction in the incidence of suicide among current users of clozapine. While the incidence of suicide in this cohort was 19% of overall mortality, the patients who completed suicide were primarily those who had stopped using clozapine.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"