Thursday 10 June 2010

Suicide, psychosis, psychiatry and the need for progress

I wonder if it's the despair that comes with unshared perceptions and
Wsetern, psychiatric treatment the causes the suicides associated with
schizophrenia.

When I went through an extended period where the unshared perceptions
became too much and too real I wanted to die because their was no hope
and also because "I" was not all I was.

My way through it was to fight. It was very different from the methods
espoused by Marius Romme, the Hearing Voices Network and Mind who's
publications I read at the time.

Psychiatry doesn't offer hope or solution to intense experiences of
consciousness where reality is distorted and the experience is highly
distressing. The treatment is traumatic and doesn't help the person want
to live any more.

My personal solution is not one I can advocate however there are other
paradigms that may offer hope. I'm afraid the evidence from the Soteria
project in the review by John Bola wasn't fantastic but the sucess with
avoiding suicide in the other 4 sites in his review showed there is
potential for alternatives to medication and sectioning.

Antipsychotics may reduce suicide based on quantitative measures as
would a cage bed. The experience of antipsychotics isn't fully
appreciated because the people prescribing them simply read research.
They have no lived experience.

Drugging an individual just like if they were stoned off weed is what
psychiatry does for psychosis. That doesn't help really. It just gets
rid of the problem is a socially acceptable way. The individual is
disposed off to become a drugged up zombie, their value to society
removed by the medicine they take. Just like me.

Advance in treatment for suicide in schizophrenia and other psychotic
conditions means giving people a hope and a chance against the
delusions. This is why the work of Professor Marius Romme and his
qualitative research of copers experience and coping techniques is
vitally important. People like him, Jim Read, John Bola, the Mosher
family, Dr.Joanna Moncrieff and others I can't think of at the moment
and leading the way to progress and progress in a 'disorder' that is
mistreated by the psychiatric profession and society.

That's where the bad outcomes come from and that's where the suicides
come from too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"