Friday 18 June 2010

Should I answer yes or no to the question of disability?

I think on the current social model yes but in truth the question, if it
were to be legally accurate in my opinion, is that society is
maladapted. It is the same for all disabled people. They are made
disabled by society.

On other paradigms it may not be so easy. The DDA which is the current
law goes on about impairments. I'm sure I've got tons of those. So what.
I've got other things that make me useful. I may not be where I should
be in life and part of that is through mental health crisis and mental
healthcare and me. Some of the things that have made me have poorer
outcomes than my peers are my decisions after crisis. Many of the people
I know haven't had a psychiatric crisis and many have much more
opportunities in life however my education and upbringing compensate for
those to a degree.

It is my wholehearted believe that I and no one else is disabled. 100%
of humanity, even the unwanted people, are humanity.

Failure of the people to understand this is another reason why mental
illness is a necessary construct however if I am to be truthful it
doesn't exist. In my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"