Saturday 7 May 2011

Can it be possible to allow what happens to people who are called ill to continue

This is a crappy title.

I'm shit at all of this stuff. I can communicate but some stuff is really hard.

This idea if the priviliege of illness. This is what thomas szasz ranted about far more eroditely than I could in his seminal work.

But I take a different angle. I say what of the privilege given to doctors and the medical establishment as a whole? This is about what happens and is justified because its about illness (whereby all the privileges of doctors treating such as general absolvement from blame when bad things are done) but it isn't and it is terribly harmful.

What I'm talking about is the exposure of psychiatry as a form of social or cultural normalisation which exists unchecked because of the paradigm of the application of illness to social problems.

Look. Here's another way. Doctors swear an oath when they become doctors. First do no harm. Since then it has been weakened but the principle holds except in psychiatry.

A study came out showing when psychiatric drugs were used on the elderly with dementia to deal with a socially unacceptable symptom they reduced life expectancy in the very elderly prescribed these behavioural modification drugs by 50%.

The drugs became used because of social convenience. People decided that rather than do something inhumane like using a straitjacket or gag they used something far worse to cosh the elderly. They used a drug which ended up killing many unnecessarily. 1,800 a year in the UK while antipsychotics were used enmasse for patients in the community.

1,800. Unnecessarily. Deaths through the use of antipsychotic.

For what? Convenience. It was never treatment. Just convenience.

There's a big old ethical question here. But one thing superseeds it. The oath which makes a doctor a doctor. An oath which companies like google echo.

First, do no harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"